Friday, June 26, 2009

Yuppie Nerd

Well, the nerd is at it again. This morning I drove into Franklin for some more Civil War history. On the way I stopped at a park I have been noticing that is built like a little rest area. The other day I learned that it actually was a Civil War historical site. Winstead Hill is a beautiful little park. It was the vantage point that General Hood used to watch the Battle of Franklin. The Sons and Daughters of Confederate Veterans has erected some very nice markers here that reminded me of Gettysburg. There is also a walking trail here but it was too hot so I'll have to go back for that.



The next stop was the Carnton Plantation. This home is very close to the Carter House where the Battle of Franklin took place. Soldiers were brought in and rooms in the house were used as operating rooms. There are still blood stains on the hard wood floors. The house is amazing with colorful wall paper and Victorian furniture. Andrew Jackson was friends with the McGavock family that lived here and frequented often. The McGavoks gathered up almost 1500 dead confederate soldiers and burried them on the property. This is the largest privately owned Confederate Cemetery.
















It was lunch time after the tour so I went to scout out the Factory on the north side of Franklin. This is an old stove works factory that has been converted into a shopping mall. This was such a cool idea. As you walk in it feels like you are going into an old dirty factory but as you enter it has lots of small shops and eateries. I had a chicken wrap and and iced mocha. I felt like a real yuppie. On the inside they maintained the old stained windows and some of the cracked ones. The hand rails are iron beams so it really has a factory feel to it. I know Trish will like this place.


After luch it was real hot and muggy out so I stopped and bought some new clothes at Wal-Mart in Franklin. I baddly needed some shorts for summer. Then I had an incling for a scenic drive so I checked out Henry Horton State Park about 20 miles east of Spring Hill. I can't wait to go back in cooler weather. They have great picnic areas on the Duck river with swimming and canoeing. They have a swimming pool besides the river and a disk golf course. They also have camping, cabins and a lodge.

Well, that was my day so far. Now for a quick nap and supper. Tonight I'm going to the new Transformer movie with three other yuppie nerds:)





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight Roger. The Plantation and cemetery look very interesting. Next time we come Trish will have to take us to the Factory. That looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I wish we had known about it. You guys would have really liked it.

    ReplyDelete