Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Back in Dickson

Well, my summer schedule is pretty light compared to what I am used to. I am really enjoying having lots of spare time. My summer school class only meets on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8:00am until 11:00am. So I have four day weekends plus afternoons free. I know what you are thinking, "Boy! I wish I had a cream puff job like that." Well, the stress of fall and spring semesters make up for it. It's still not the perfect job. The perfect job is from 12:00 to 1:00 with an hour off for lunch:)


Last Wednesday I did go to the men's Bible study at my new church. I really enjoyed the group. They are real close and very friendly. The funny thing is I don't fit their profile. This class was started to reach disconnected men that normally wouldn't be in church. Some of these guys have been divorced before or were recently saved out of rough life styles. So why am I enjoying their company so much? I have been going to church since nine months before I was born. I have never drunk alcohol, smoked or done any drugs. I have never been divorced, killed or mutilated anybody (frogs and cats don't count do they?) I think I have nailed it on the head. These men are recent converts and are close because they have all been through rough trials and lean on each other and welcome anyone in who needs encouragement. This means they are not cliquish. It is very hard develop relationships with groups that do have cliquish tendencies. This is a demographic group I would like to help reach and disciple so I think I can learn a lot from them. I would encourage any Christian group to do a self evaluation to see if this is hindering growth. A sure sign is if new people usually do not return, they are not being made to feel welcome. You should also be active with lots of activities for people to enjoy. I look forward to meeting with them again tomorrow night and I would feel that way even if Tim did not promise to fry fish for us (OK, maybe that does put a little extra excitement into it). Trish has made some connections with the girls as well. They went to the zoo and have a play date tomorrow.


I have been killing some time this afternoon. I decided to come back to Dickson for the monthly men's Bible study. I just wanted to see some friends and say hey. I know they have missed me terribly and have deep longing pains for my company so it will be a big encouragement to them as well. To end on a serious note, I have enjoyed our move to our new location but have missed my Dickson friends. I mentioned that Trish and I know the education pastor at Thompson Station church because he used to be at Grand Avenue Baptist in Fort Smith. I had lunch with him (Louis Davis) yesterday. It was a good visit and I look forward to getting plugged in there. Louis and I had a good time bashing all the people at Grand Avenue we never liked (just kidding). Speaking of annoying people from Fort Smith, two of them are coming to visit this weekend. I have been instructed to stay out of the way and not hinder the girls' fun in any way. Seriously, we look forward to Jennifer and Melissa coming. Well, that about sums up my last week and future days also. Take care!

1 comment: