Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Baptist History


Well spring break is next week and I am wrapping up some exams before the break. I am excited to get back to my Wednesday night class this week. We missed last week with revival. There were about 167 decisions and approximately 35 were baptized Sunday evening. This felt so relevant because we have been discussing in my Baptist History class how believers baptism by immersion is a pivotal element of Baptist belief. I decided to play around at the Southern Baptist Convention website (http://www.sbc.net/) and found some great material. A book I'm reading mentioned a Southern Baptist Historical Library and Archive held in the headquarters building here in downtown Nashville. I thought, I need to get on their website( www.sbhla.org/) and see about visiting and taking a tour. My former pastor, Bill Blanchard, told me of a book called "The Conservative Resurgence in the SBC" that talks about how conservatives gained back power in 1979 after liberals had gradually infiltrated and were teaching evolution at schools like Baylor and publishing Bible Commentaries that said the first few chapters of Genesis are nothing but Babylonian mythology. This library link had a free online link to the book so I don't even have to go downtown. I've been reading it on my office computer. Well, I may not blog much over the next week. We are making a trip back to Fort Smith. I am going to study some more history now. The picture here is of Charles Spurgeon, whom I have been quoting so much in my blog. Take care and see y'all soon.


Got Spurgeon?: "Not only when thou wast born into the world did Christ love thee, but His delights were with the sons of men before there were any sons of men. Often did He think of them; from everlasting to everlasting He had set His affection upon them. What! my soul, has He been so long about thy salvation, and will not He accomplish it? Has he from everlasting been going forth to save me, and will He lose me now? What! has He carried me in His hand, as His precious jewel, and will He now let me slip from between His fingers? Did he choose me before the mountains were brought forth, or the channels of the deep were digged, and will He reject me now? Impossible! I m sure He wold not have loved me so long if He had not been a changeless Lover. If He could grow weary of me, He would have been tired of me long before now. If He had not loved me with a love as deep as hell, and as strong as death, He would have turned from me long ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment